Before we leave for your yearly summer trip, we stock up the kids with things to do in the van. We get books, paper, pen, crayons, some small toys, you name it. We do not have a DVD player in our van; the kids watch enough at home, so we really do not need it on the road. The advent of portable electronics definitely has changed how kids survive long trips. I wish I had a iPad when I was going up!
Other than the standard games such as Angry Birds or Candy Crush, what apps might be good for the kids. The folks over at USM have put together a nice little app called ADAC Travel Games. This universal app provides some good family fun entertainment for long car rides. The app has something for everyone.
ADAC Travel Games is broken up into:
- Game Ideas is a clearing house for huge variety of games which are broken up into such categories as For the Family, Single Player, Resting Place, and Music to Go. There are 10 categories in all and each has a good number of games.
- Survival Tips provides some ideas for parents to help provide some fun for the kids on the trip
- Codes listes country abbreviations and Germany license numbers
- Games has four games for 1 or 2 players; Felix and Frieda, Geo-Quix, Night Drawing, and Car Ride. The games are cute and definitely geared towards the younger players. Night Drawing is an area that kids can just draw and color.
If you need any help in the game, simply hit the little medical kit.
The graphics and layout are nicely done. Overall this app is a nice resource for parents searching for ideas and things to do. Parents would be best served to reveiw the app before the trip and make a plan of attack. The games are ok but are a bit short and will only entain kids for a few minutes. You can favorite any of the ides listed for easy access.
This is a good app. A couple ideas for the developer:
- allow parents to add their own ideas or games into the Game Ideas or Survival Tips.
- add some more mini games within the app
- maybe have some games that kids can play together on multiple iPads/iPhones
But if you are needing some ideas on games for the kids, this app from USM might just do the trick.